Friday, March 9, 2007

Perfect Macha Cheesecake

A couple of months ago I was obsessed with all things macha (greentea) and after hours searching Google for macha cake recipes, I settled on one which I have gradually changed, using less sugar and eggs and omitting the lemon completely. The result is a light, soft, subtle cake that is great with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, or just as good on its own.

Picture 028a
Yi's first attempt!!! Sooooooooo GOOD!

Macha Cheesecake

140 g fine sugar
5 eggs, separated
1/4 t cream of tartar
2 t macha powder
50g butter
250g Phil. creamcheese
100 ml fresh milk
60 g cake flour
20 g cornflour
pinch of salt

1. Set/preheat oven at 160 C, line bottom of 8" round caketin with baking paper.
2. Put the cheese, butter and milk into a small pot and melt over a double boiler.
Use a small whisk to blend till smooth. Do not over-cook. Remove from heat and let cool. Mix in the macha and salt.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat whites with sugar and cream of tartar till stiff.
4. Sieve the flours into the cheese mixture, add the yolks, fold quickly to mix well, then mix the whites into the cheese mixture quickly with your hands. Pour the batter into the tin and
bake bran marie at 160 C for 1 hour 10 min.
5. Remove cake from oven and turn cake out
immediately onto a wire rack to cool or it'll shrink too much. Chill before serving.

Note: Once, I was out of fresh milk so I used soy milk and couldn't tell the difference. You can sieve some icing sugar over cake, or pipe on some fresh cream rosettes.

Note 2: Two readers have informed that their macha cheesecake turned out wet, and I myself had the same result early this year when I got a new oven. I think you need to crank up the heat if your oven is generally cooler; not all ovens are the same heat at the same setting so you have to know your oven. I would suggest that those who got wet cake turn their ovens up to 170/180 C or bake it another 15 min. or so. Hope that works.

13 comments:

Rob Lugo @ ResumeLink said...

It sounds yummy, can't wait to try it.

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

Tell me how it turned out!

red | hongyi said...

no wonder u have a fat daughter...

Anonymous said...

hi there, I tried to make the cheesecake and it taste yummy. The only pro is how come my cake doesn't turn out to be like the one in the picture(spongy?)? Mine is wet texture :( DId i miss anything? Thanks for the recipe! :)

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

hmm. what kind of machine did u use to whip d egg white? to get a spongy n light cake, the egg white must be whipped until stiff, with addtion of cream of tartar (to help it rise) n sugar (to keep it stiff). i find tt hand-held machines give fine-textured egg whites that aren't as stiff as that whopped by a Kenwood chef/major or Kitchenaid. try again n tell me if this helps:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks terri..I'm goin to try it again tmr. Before that, it's cake flour = plain flour??? :) THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

anony: no, cake flour does not = plain flour. cake flour is finer. but if not available, u can use plain flour but resulting cake won't be as fine. and now pls excuse me while I go to the polling station to cast my vote as a patriotic citizen...

Tainhui said...

hi terri, i oso have pro getting spongy cake. my cake always turn out wet and dense ...u knowl ike normal bake cheesecake and it aint cotton soft...

i posted some photos of my cheesecake in my blog ...may b u can hav a look on how my cake turned out...

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

theresa: so sorry it didn't turn out well; i know how diusappointing it feels. i checked ur (very nice) blog but couldn't find any pic of the macha cheesecake, only a mention in June about a cheesecake tt failed. yes, i've had a wet cake with this recipe once when i change my oven. could it be the heat? but denise (pls check it out on my links) recently made a perfect cake, totally smooth on top, n evenly textured, using this recipe.

Tainhui said...

hi terri,
i didnt bake macha cheesecake but i made the Japanese Souffle Cheesecake which is quite similar with the macha cheesecake... it should b soft, light and sinful when eat it :P ( in my blog i named it as baked cheese cake)
i will try your macha cheesecake soon :) by tht time i can share my baking results.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I finally got to make this! And guess what it worked. It was going to be a disaster after I popped the cake into the oven and discovered that the egg yolks were sitting on the kitchen benchtop. I pulled the cake tin out, emptied the contents and mixed the egg yolks in slowly. It was a success and got great review at the kitchen tea. Can't wait for the next attempt when I do it properly. It'll be even better.

terri@adailyobsession said...

anon: wow, it still turned out edible :D. i've done what u did many times, adding an ingredient after the cake is in the oven, n it's so stressful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...