Saturday, April 14, 2007

Super Yummy Soy Sauce Duck

P1020254

This is such an easy and fantastic way to cook duck I wouldn't bother to cook it any other way. My friend Wendy gave me the recipe years ago and I've forgotten the exact ingredients. I'm not sure if its called Teochew duck. Anyway, I cooked it twice recently and both times my diners were raving about it, so here goes:

1 whole duck, cleaned
1/2 ricebowl (about 200ml) light soy sauce
1/2 ricebowl (say 150 g) sugar
3/4 ricebowl (300 ml) water
6 to 7 thick slices of ginger
4 Tbsp canola or veg oil

1. Put the oil in a cold wok, add the sugar and ginger and then switch on the fire to medium. Stir till sugar is melted and slightly golden but not too much or it'll be bitter.

2. Add the duck, turning over to sear the skin all over. It'll be a beautiful golden brown.

3. Add the soy sauce and the water, stir, then cover and simmer 1 hour or till tender but not too soft. Do check on the sauce level and stir once in a while so the duck doesn't stick to the wok or burn.

4. Take duck out to cool. If the sauce is thin, increase the heat and let sauce reduce, uncovered, till it becomes thick. Bear in mind the sauce will thicken further when it is cold. Skim off oil.

5. Chop duck into small serving pieces and serve the sauce either separately or pour it over the duck.

4 comments:

Thankgod4mothers said...

Everybody out there, ooi!!! why no comment on this dish! If you haven't tried, go get your duck today. It is the best soy duck dish I ever tasted!! It is so easy, so good and so dependable. Common! folks! comment lah! How can anyone not LOVE this duck??!!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

TGFM: u actually cooked it?! i'm so happy when ppl put my recipes to use. n give me feedback:)

i have to be thick-faced n agree with u. this really is the best duck recipe n so easy to cook. keith, a fussy-eater englishman, loved it. if his wife wasn't watching i think he'd have had half the duck!i think there were no comments bc this was my 3rd/4th/early posts. i'll have to re-post :)

kris said...

whole duck is too expensive here in HUngary. I think I'll try with duck thigh.. should be as good, right?

Blur Ting said...

I love braised duck. I am going to try this recipe. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...