Thursday, August 23, 2007
This is another tried and true recipe from Liz. I have changed the cooking method slightly. Kids love it, I think for its creaminess and flavor and the fact that it looks like curry yet is not hot at all.
1 2.2 kg chicken, chopped into small pieces
2 brown onions, in small chunks
2 carrots, in small chunks
1 can button mushrooms, halved if big
2 T butter
2 T ordinary flour
1 t tumeric powder
4 cups thick coconut milk*
1/2 cup Ideal milk
3 to 4 cups water
1 t (or more) salt, 1/4 t white pepper
1. Mix the tumeric into the chicken. Fry the chicken and onions in a little bit (2 to 3 T) of veg oil for 4 to 5 min, add the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, water, salt and pepper and simmer 15 min.
2. In a pot, put in butter, then turn heat on to medium (so butter won't brown) and when butter has melted, add the flour, stirring well. It will form clumps but continue to fry it under low heat for 1 min. Do not let it brown.
3. Add the coconut milk and the Ideal milk a little at a time, stirring well, till a thick cream is formed. Add the cooked chicken, stirring well and season to taste. Let the sauce bubble, then let it cook about 5 min and switch off heat.
4. Switch on the top grillimg element of the oven to the highest temperature. Spoon chicken into a glass or ovenproof dish and grill till lightly browned. Good with rice or French bread.
* If it is inconvenient to get fresh coconut milk, it's ok to use box or canned coconut milk for this recipe.