Friday, April 18, 2008

Pan-Fried Fish With Orange-Raisins Sauce

P1220186
Pan-fried red snapper with orange-raisins sauce.

Went out with my boys and came home late. No time to cook Chinese, because there's all that cutting and frying, plus Chinese meals mean at least 3 dishes and a soup. The fish was thawed, I had some iceberg and butter lettuce and a vinegrette dressing leftover from last night, so western din would be faster. Here's where we Malaysians are spoilt: a maid to boil and mash the pumpkin while I cook the fish. I wanted to coat it with semolina, like Chef Oscar at Tanjung Aru Beach Resort had taught me, but couldn't find the can of semolina so I pan-fried it plain. Then I thought, the family hates sauceless meat. They want a sauce on everything. I spied some oranges, and came up with this sauce which was inspired by the apple-walnut sauce on my salmon at Le Meridien last month. I decided to share this recipe when the response from Hub was good. Sometimes it is a pleasant surprise when you come up with a dish using whatever you have on hand. The whole meal took 15 minutes to prepare and cook! (Wey as usual ran away when I cook seafood. He ate this morning's leftover pizza instead.)

Pan-fried Fish With Orange-raisins Sauce
2 pieces good white fish fillets (I used red snapper)
a pinch of salt (we are on low-salt diet)
a few shakes of white pepper

sauce:
juice from 1/2 orange
2 T raisins
1/2 T cornflour mixed with 3 T water
pinch of salt, pinch of chicken stock powder

toasted and chopped nuts (I used almonds)

1. Season the fish both sides lightly with salt and pepper.

2. Put 2 T olive oil in a lightly heated pan and fry the fish 3 to 4 minutes, then turn over and fry another 2 to 3 minutes. Check the thickest part to see if it's done. Dish onto serving plate.

3. Pour away any remaining oil, put the pan back on the hob and add the orange juice and the raisins. When it boils, add the cornflour solution, pinch of salt and chicken powder. If sauce is too thick, add a little bit of water. Pour sauce over the fish. Sprinkle nuts on top.

The pumpkin mash was very good, even better than potatoes, because it was wetter and sweet. Just cut skinned pumpkin (the deeper the color, the sweeter and 'grainier'), boil it in a small amount of water until it's soft, drain, then use a potato masher to mash it. Add a small amount of double cream and mix well. I didn't salt it and it was okay.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

top blogs in msia:
http://www.sabahan.com/2007/02/06/50-most-influential-blogs-in-malaysia

Anonymous said...

http://www.sabahan.com/2007/02/06/50-
most-influential-blogs-in-malaysia

Big Boys Oven said...

this is so lovely done and looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

I like the sauce ! such a good meal and yet ur baby walk away?!?!?! ;p and he rather eat ur "morning"pizza ???? This shows that ur pizza really good!
Denise
p/s remember the 3 dragon F u gave? I finished in 2 days time! 2 in a day, and another for the last day! ha! 3 of them are red, and u know what???? when I pee, my urine is a bit pinkish! *Lolz* disgusting!!!! I mean me writing here! HAHAHAHAHHAHA
always, i luv the fruit, sweet! & juicy

Hazza said...

problem with western food is that you get a different feeling of "fullness" after the meal, unlike having a rice based meal. Having said that, it looks like a nice and relatively healthy meal to have occassionally.

Precious Pea said...

Impressive! Looks like it's from a 5-star hotel!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

bbo: tq...it would be perfect if we had one of ur desserts :)

denise: goodness. girl! but tt's interesting, pink pee huh. wait till i tell wey.

hazza: it's funny how westerners complain tt they feel hungry soon after a chinese meal, n chinese also feel the same after a western meal. also, how they think we all look alike n we also think they r all identical.

when u get to my age, u better not eat to feel full esp dinnertime. in fact, more n more ppl r not eating starch for din n tt's very hard when u eat chinese food isn't it. but u can get used to it, n its healthier.

preciousp: thank u dear!

Anonymous said...

Wow that is creativity i would say. orange with fish. interesting. make me feel like i am watching one of those western chef cooking shows where they just wham bham and one meal.

The Hook said...

I just finished reading your blog post featuring the tantalizing Pan-Fried Fish With Orange-Raisins Sauce recipe, and I couldn't resist reaching out to praise your exceptional writing and culinary skills.

Your ability to create a culinary masterpiece shines through in your vivid descriptions and engaging storytelling. As I read about the perfectly pan-fried fish fillets adorned with the tangy and sweet orange-raisins sauce, my taste buds were awakened and my imagination soared. Your words truly brought the dish to life, making it impossible for me to resist trying it out myself.

I must commend you on your creativity in combining unexpected flavors. The pairing of the citrusy brightness of oranges with the subtle sweetness of raisins adds a unique and delightful twist to the classic pan-fried fish. It's evident that you possess a deep understanding of flavor profiles and how to create a harmonious blend of tastes.

The detailed instructions and helpful tips you provided demonstrate your dedication to ensuring success for home cooks like myself. Your clear explanations and guidance instill confidence and encourage experimentation, allowing us to embark on a flavorful adventure in our own kitchens.

Thank you for sharing your culinary expertise through your beautifully written blog post. Your passion for food and commitment to providing valuable content are evident in every word. I'm truly inspired by your creativity and can't wait to recreate this extraordinary dish for my family and friends.

Keep up the fantastic work, and may your culinary journey continue to inspire and captivate readers like myself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...