Monday, July 21, 2008

Day 5 Sing: Lunch

Bernard and Aihua insisted to take us to Kuishin-Bo, Suntec City Tower 1, for quality Japanese buffet that costs only S$20.90++, if you finish within 60 minutes. If you extend beyond that, you pay S$29.90++ which is still not expensive.

You'll need to book because the office crowd rolls in for lunch as early as 11:30 am. Any impression I had of anorexic stick-insect-like Sing girls and guys was totally dispelled that day as most of the diners were young working adults. I must say for the price the buffet was really good, with a big selection of sushi, sashimi, noodles, soups, tempura, teppanyaki, nabes, boiled seafood like clams, mussels and snails. Dessert was good too and there was a large selection of teas.

P1240054

P1240051

P1240044

I started with a selection of sashimi and sushi. There were many more varieties of sushi and sashimi but I was wary of the rule regarding unfinished food (can't remember how much but there's a fine). I also had their clam chowder, which tastes of packet soup but with lots of seafood and clams, and their teapot soup. Not in pic was their chawan mushi (steamed egg) which was excellent, silky smooth and soft with just the right amount of dashi. It reminded me to perfect my chawan mushi because I can't make it that silky.

P1240045


My next selection included tempura soft shell crab, prawns, squid, grilled salmon and saba fish, and chicken yakitori. At the back is some kind of snail which Hub ate by the platefuls. He said it had the texture of abalone. Ming was going at the clams and scallops by the platefuls too but I don't like seafood that's been frozen.
P1240048


Kaminabe, which was refreshing.

P1240050

In the foreground is a choc mochi which was super soft and yummy. I also liked the taro mochi ( purple color) but most of all, I enjoyed this:

P1240053


I would describe this as jelly caviar. These little balls give a good bite and are so fun to eat with vanilla ice-cream. Wish I could have some now.

6 comments:

bryan said...

I'll be going over to Singapore during my gf's b'day and during her b'day month she gets 20% off at Sushi Tei. We plan to hit all the Japanese places but after that we will try this buffet place.

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

ha! I must go this place!!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

bryan: u know, i was disappointed with sushi tei's sushi. we went to the one in vivo city n the fish wasn't so fresh. i was at central 7 there were many Jap restaurants. i wonder if they are good. be warned, unless u like buffets, a la carte is still better. say hi to the birthday girl:)

denise: the food's really quite good but u know how overwhelming buffets r...

Unknown said...

Errmm, sorry for directing you to Sushi Tei... :( The one I had in Ngee Ann City and Serangoon Gardens was good. Oh well, I owe you a lunch haahhaaha!

Anyway, Kuishin Bo used to be one of THE best (If not the best) Jap buffet places. They used to serve unagis but perhaps they got spooked out by someone like me who would pay jsut to gobble down 4-5 plates of just unagis :$

During dinner, they would occasionally ring a bell and play their KuishinBo's music to notify customers of premium item for offer (FOC) e.g. baked lobsters, abalone sashimi, premium kani tempura, etc etc but only limited to the first 10-15 customers first-come-first-serve basis whilst available. Its like a to-do thing there, fighting off your competitors to get to those lobsters and abalones :p~

Anyway, Kaminabe is crab steamboat, which separately read as "kani" i.e. crab and "nabe" i.e. steamboat(Sounds extremely vulgar)

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

johnathan: i queued for a cab twice outside ngee ann's sushi tei but each time i was full so too bad i didn't eat there.

lola said...

Thanks for all the work you're putting in the site, the data as well are good. Keep posting!

www.n8fan.net

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...