Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bacon & Eggs Breakfast Pizza

P1390994
Bacon & eggs breakfast pizza: individual 8" pizza, crust was too thick but filling for a growing teen.

This is featured right now on Saveur's website and it looked brilliant and yummy so I made it straightaway. The recipe comes by way of Smitten Kitchen, the blog that won Saveur's Best Food Photography Award this year. Smitten adapted the recipe from The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook. Gotta get the cookbook, for the recipes and the photos of Big Sur. I love the Big Sur area: the missions, the rugged coast, the 17-Mile Drive, Pebble Beach and the famous golf club, Carmel and the restaurants nestled among the trees overlooking the Pacific. I just don't get the fuss about The Lone Tree.

This breakfast pizza has just eggs, bacon and cheese and no tomato base. I wanted to add some shiitake mushrooms but couldn't find any locally grown ones and we don't like the ones from China because they are too heavily scented. If I was running out of time, I'd use flatbread--pita, chappati--but I wasn't so I made the simple pizza dough (just bread flour, salt, yeast and water, no oil or sugar unlike the usual pizza dough) according to the recipe, left the dough in the fridge overnight and got up at 4:30 am to take the dough out. Actually that was my plan but I couldn't get up so Hub did. It's good to be married to an early riser if you aren't one.

One ball of dough is to make one 12" pizza but I found that makes a crust that's thicker than usual.  If I were to do it again, I'll make it a 13 or 14" with 4 eggs.  I made two 8" very thick-crust pizzas with one ball of dough so if you like your pizza thinner, make three 6" pizzas with that amount of dough.  I made little changes to the recipe for my convenience. I decreased the salt in the dough and also needed to add extra water . As usual, since I know my yeast is good, I dumped all the dough ingredients into the mixer bowl without waiting for the yeast to froth. Since I don't have a pizza stone, I baked the pizza on the lowest rack and cranked my oven to the highest temperature it can go, 250 C. That temperature is still too low for this pizza because the eggs were just nice by 7 minutes but the crust was still underdone. I don't know if  it was the size of the eggs because my eggs weren't large. To counter the underdone crust and overdone eggs, next time I'll bake the pizza with the cheese first and then crack the eggs over halfway through, or just make sure to use large eggs. The smaller pizzas were okay at 6-7 minutes with the fan on. I fried the bacon and got the cheese and garnish ready the night before so the pizzas took about 10 minutes to prepare and another 7 minutes to bake. So it's a little more work than cereal and milk or grilled cheese sandwiches but I think Wey found it a fun and tasty change to his usual breakfast. I hope Nathan, who car pools with Wey, likes it too  (I let them eat in the car). Hub said it was very good too, and it was, but if you, like me, thought this is pizza, you'll be missing the tomato sauce.

p.s. When Wey came home from school, I hounded him about this morning's breakfast and he said the pizza was excellent "with a capital 'E'". How can I not love him to bits??

P1400023

P1400001
Bacon & Eggs Breakfast Pizza (makes 2 x 12" pizzas)
1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
2 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
3/4 cup lukewarm water, plus more if necessary
1/2 t salt (reduced from 1 t)
6 strips bacon, fried until crispy & cut into small pieces
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 cups grated mozzarella
6 large eggs
freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons minced chives
2 scallions, thinly sliced (I replaced with basil leaves)

* In warm weather, I prefer using cold water so that the dough will not be a shaggy mess but in cold weather, do use lukewarm water. Add more water by the spoonful if the dough is too dry, add flour by the spoonful if too wet. The dough after kneading should be soft and smooth.

1. Make the dough the night before. Put the flour, water and salt into your mixer bowl and use a dough hook to knead the dough until it is soft and smooth, about 7-8 minutes. Divide the dough into two balls and with your palm over the dough ball on a lightly floured work surface, roll each into a tight ball. Dust a cake pan with flour and put the dough balls inside, then put the pan into a plastic bag, seal it and leave it in the fridge overnight. This'll give time for the dough to relax so that it's easier to stretch.

2. Take the dough out to warm up about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before using it. Switch on oven to the highest temp, about 230 to 250 C in most home ovens.

3. Dust your work surface and roll each piece of dough ball into a 12-13" circle.  Place the pizza  base on a well-floured pizza pan or oven tray, patting out the pizza to stretch it but leaving the edges thicker than the center. Use half the ingredients for each of the pizza: first the cheeses, then the bacon and finally, crack the eggs over. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt (I forgot so I did this after the pizza was done). Alternatively, top the pizza with the cheese and bake 4 minutes, then remove the tray (careful!) from the oven and crack the eggs over and bake another 4 minutes so the yolks are still runny. Or use large eggs as recommended.

4. Bake the pizzas (I found they cooked better with the fan on) until the crust is browned and the egg still easy/runny (less than 8 minutes esp. if you have the fan on) and remove from oven. Sprinkle the parsley, chives and shallot over.

Please refer to Smitten Kitchen's recipe if you are baking on a pizza stone.

12 comments:

TeaLady said...

this looks great. I could do this easy for b'fast. Pizza dough looks really easy too.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Precious Pea said...

Terri, i really really envy your kids. How I wish I get breakfast like this every morning!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

perfect breakfast pizza!

the lunch guy said...

they are going to put you in the mom's hall of fame right next to my mom. in the section for moms who cooked their hearts out for their family, and never knew when to stop.

the pizza shop where i worked in the usa used to offer egg as a topping. they were noted for their very thin crispy dough, but never the less, they always cracked the egg on after the pie had started. that with a drizzle of the oil from the anchovy jar is heavenly.

i believe the french also have a version with egg.

if you want to "greek" it up, add olive slices and feta crumbs go great with egg.

again, i am envious of your photo abilities. i can never get such balanced light for my food shots. i think my problem is many are shot at night without natural light and the flash is just to overbearing.

Ally ML said...

Terri, it looks soooooooo yummy!

Jade said...

that sounds lovely. I suppose if you reaally miss the tomato sauce, some baked beans over it wouldn't hurt :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Good idea, and it look soooo yummy, am sure my kids will love this pizza, must make for them soon. Thanks for sharing.

ann low said...

Looking at this, really makes me drooling. Nice clicks!

fishm0i said...

Wahhhh salivating!!!!

terri@adailyobsession said...

tealady: yes, i like the dough. i'll use this dough recipe from now on. all's well, thanx, how about u n yours??

pp: this is my Mother Of The Week week. i am making better breakfasts than chow men n egg sandwiches bc i'm going on holidays n feeling guilty about leaving wey behind.

joe: yumyum

lunch guy:hahahaha! i'm just doing this to make sure tt when i'm away my boy misses my cooking if not me!

oh no, i'm the last person to take good photos. it's all about lighting. if i get enough light, the camera does the rest. i also learnt from bee of rasa malaysia to always use white crockery to show off the food n to let the light reflect. try tt:))

ally: it is, try it!

jade: tt's an idea. i like your resourcefulness:))

sonia: yes u must n tell me if your kids like it ok

anncoo: thnx:))

aggie: :))

Big Boys Oven said...

I got so excited looking at thos half cooked egss topping the pizza, my my lovely!

wvfy said...

Hi,
I am frm KK , and would like to try out this pizza. Should i put in the middle rack or lower rack of oven? Because my electrolux oven does not brown the base of my cake that i baked before this when i put in the middle rack.
Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...