Thursday, December 29, 2011

Bacon Explosion


DSC_7648_1024x678
This caterpillar of meat, known as Bacon Explosion or Bacon Bomb, is just pork meatloaf wrapped in bacon.  Regular beef meatloaf is so tame compared to the Bacon Explosion.

I wanted to make devils on horseback for Christmas dinner but when my son Ming asked if I've heard of bacon weave before (I hadn't), I googled it and that led me to Bacon Explosion, a long roll of pork sausage meat with fried bacon bits covered with a mat of weaved bacon, bbqued until it's smokey and crisp and glazed with a sweet sauce. The original Explosion was created by the bloggers here and was said to contain at least 5000 calories. I have made a less sinful version, cutting back on the amount of bacon and fat used but still, do proceed with caution.

Because bacon is expensive here, I didn't want to use any more bacon than necessary so I didn't have crispy bacon in the meat filling. We can't get fresh sausage meat here and I had to make my own. I had a packet of chorizo sausages from Australia (thanks, Liz) that was close to the used-by date so they were chopped up, fried and mixed into the sausage meat for extra flavor.

The Bacon Explosion for Christmas dinner was so good that it went quickly, leaving me scavenging just the bacon bits and dried cranberries I had used for garnish. I intended to post the recipe after making another Explosion this weekend but after several requests for the recipe, including from W in Canada who I just spoke to this evening, I am posting the recipe today for those who want to make one for New Year's Eve dinner. I am waiting for a photo of the cut Explosion taken by a friend (I was too busy to take photos) and I'll upload it later.

If fresh pork sausage meat is available where you are, you can use that instead of making your own. You can also substitute the chorizo with bacon, pepperoni or whatever you like. In the original recipe, the Bacon Explosion is smoked-bbqued and glazed but I find it easier to cook it in the oven. I also don't like my bacon fully crisp so the oven is a better place to cook the roll.  If you want a glaze, just make your own or use bottled bbq sauce mixed with some honey or maple syrup. Serve the Bacon Explosion with a crisp salad and some mash and say hello to your triple chin.

Note: I made a second BE a week later and the result wasn't as good as the first one. I've thought about it and think these are the reasons:

1. The local chorizos were not as tasty or maybe it was because I used only 2 instead of 4 chorizos. Advice: Use tasty chorizos.
2. I got the bacon from the same supermarket but noticed that the bacon was in narrower strips and tasted different. Advice: Keep to good fresh thick-cut Aussie bacon.
3. I took the short cut of having the butcher mill-grind the pork for me but the mince was too coarse. Machine-ground pork is too pasty. Chopping by hand gives a fine mince that's just nice.
4. I didn't cook the roll until the bacon was browned enough because I needed the oven for baking bread. The BE should be baked until the bacon is browned and quite crispy.
5. I used Hunt's hickory bbq sauce to glaze and I think that really spoilt the taste. My advice is to skip the bbq sauce.

DSC_7590_1024x678
Weave the bacon strips on a piece of firm plastic. You can sprinkle some bbq seasoning or dry rub on the bacon mat if like. I didn't. 


DSC_7798_1024x678
It is easier to pat the sausage meat into a long log on a prepared tray and then slap the bacon mat on top than put the sausage meat on top of the bacon mat and roll.


DSC_7801_1024x678
Weave the bacon mat on a piece of plastic for easier lifting of the mat and slap the mat on the sausage roll. Tuck the ends under the roll.

DSC_7596_1024x678
Make sure the weaving is tidy and snug.

  DSC_7600_1024x678

DSC_7637_1024x678

My Bacon Explosion
The sausage meat:
1.5 kg pork shoulder, with at least 20% fat
4 chorizo sausages (about 400 gm)
3/4 t salt (or reduce slightly)
3/4 T ground sage
3/4 t thyme
1/4 t ground ginger
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t white pepper
1/8 ts cayenne pepper
1/4 cup water or 1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 slices of day-old bread, cut into 1/2 cm cubes

For the bacon weave:
About 800 gm to 1 kg of thick-cut streaky bacon (do not use the thin-cut Danish bacon)

Optional: bbq seasoning/dry rub

1. Chop or coarse-grind the pork. Cut the chorizo into small pea-sized cubes and fry them in a frying pan without oil. Remove when the chorizo are golden brown. Cool.

2. Mix the fried chorizo and all the other sausage meat ingredients until well-blended, cover and leave in the fridge for at least half an hour to firm up.

3. Meanwhile, weave the bacon criss-cross into a mat. You'll need two or three large bacon mats. Arrange the bacon 'mats' on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil. You can sprinkle the bacon with your favorite bbq seasoning/dry rub for extra flavor.

4. Pat the sausage meat into a long roll on the weaved bacon. Roll the sausage with the weaved bacon mats firmly and snugly. Or, the easier way is to weave the bacon on a piece of plastic for support, lift the plastic up with the bacon mat and drape over the sausage roll. Re-arrange and tidy up the weave, making sure the bacon strips are woven closely. Tuck the edges under. Make sure the ends of the roll are covered and the seams of the mats are at the bottom on the tray. You can spread some bbq seasoning on the roll if like. Chill the roll in the fridge while the oven heats up.

5. Preheat oven at 200 C and put in the bacon roll. Bake 1 1/2 hours uncovered. Check on the roll now and then to make sure that it is not burnt. At the end of cooking, glaze with a bbq sauce if like.

11 comments:

wendy said...

Thanks for posting the recipe. Can't wait make one, E will love it, he loves bacon and is a meat eater. Happy New Year!

Blur Ting said...

Thanks for the recipe. When I first saw it, I was thinking of adding chopped fresh water chestnut for that added crunch. Wonder if it might work?

By the way, I would like to ask about the weather in Sabah. We're heading to KK next Wed and hope it won't be flooding.

RUNNING BROOK said...

Oh no...you've done it again. Now I really, really wish I was your neighbour. At least I'd get free smells, if not the taste. heheh..

A very happy new year to you and your family Terri!

XOXO warmest wishes from me and mine

Michelle Chin said...

I think it's difficult to have bacon overdose if you love it!

Chocolate Cookies & Candies said...

you guys looked like you had an amazing time over Christmas. What a feast! Sausagemeat is so readily available here and the quality is amazing! I'll have to try the bacon explosion one day. Bacon is super cheap here too.

tina said...

Wow, that looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

EXPLOSIVE!!! YUMMEH!!!
I know if I make this for next Christmas, Darian and his friends will five me an explosive hug and I'll be their favourite aunty! :-)

Terri, I never know your cooking blog caused an explosion!!

MG

Sippity Sup said...

bacon wrapped anything is a good idea. But you make it so pretty too! GREG

Nicole Gamble said...

So simple and so perfect! Yammy! Thanks for sharing!

Mingosaur said...

wendy: so did you make the BE and if you did, was it good?

blurting: i love the weather now. it's always cloudy, breezy and cool. so far not much rain so no floods. if you haven't got a jotel, try hotel 63. it's brand new, rooms are from rm120 per night, very new n modern n situated smack in town, in front of the tourism office and near supermarket n restaurants. walking distance to jesselton point where you can get boats to the islands.

happy new year too!

michelle: it depend on the bacon. i love aussie bacon bc it's fresh, thick-cut and not too salty.

ccc: so you must try make BE but don't make too much. it's all meat.

tina, mg: :))

Kelly Siew said...

Can't wait to try this!! Bacon is quite expensive locally though. So need an excuse to spend for this :D :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...