Sunday, January 20, 2013

Scuba Diving, Borneo Reef World

I went scuba diving last week and didn't meet any sharks. I did, however, snorkel among plastic bottles and baby diapers. Such is the state of the waters at the islands off Kota Kinabalu. Now that the timber is gone, the oil and gas are 'hijacked' and the palm oil prices have dropped, it is more crucial than ever for Sabah to safeguard the last remaining resources--its rainforests, beaches and seas. And yet, a walk along Tanjung Aru Beach is a saddening experience. There's thrash everywhere and the air stinks. Why have the food stalls on that beach? Why can't it be a park?

Anyway, here are some pics from my first scuba dive. I was too nervous (hate deep blue waters) to really enjoy myself, and I had trouble equalizing the pressure; my ears hurt and I feared that my eardrums would pop. I thought I'd panic and forget how to replace the the oxygen regulator so I cheated by holding on to it all the time. The water wasn't as clear that day because of the rain we've been having, but we did see some colorful fishes (one had colorful dots AND stripes, the full monty!) and corals. It's a different world underwater but I was relieved when I saw the poles and flippers because it meant we were near the surface. I think I'll stick to snorkelling.

Check Borneo Reef World's website here.

The boat that took us to the pontoon.



Crash course by the dive master.


The pontoon, largest in South East Asia, measures 888 sq meters.













7 comments:

Kikukat said...

OMG, Terri. You are brave. I don't think I could bring myself to scuba, especially not in tropical waters. The idea of meeting up with mano (shark, in Hawaiian) scares the daylights out of me! You are too good!

KY said...

Looked like an awesome project, too bad Borneo's just a bit far for me :(

Jaxson corey said...

P.S. Actually, using WP as an offensive weapon against military targets is against the Chemical Weapons Convention and the Convention on Certain Chemical Weapons, not the Geneva Conventions per se - although the GC DO ban the use of incendiary weapons in civilian areas or against civilian targets. But this just a 'the more you know' quibble which I only know because I just wrote an article on war crimes in videogames.
write-my-paper-for-cheap
cheap-paper-writing-service
Accounts Software For Small Business
Simran Kaur

Harish Sangwan said...

red rose day
7 feb rose day
rose day greetings
world rose day
date of rose day
rose day cards
valentines day rose
valentine rose day
rose day msgs
national rose day
rose day wallpapers
rose day photos
rose day photo
rose day flowers

Blogger said...

Sign-Up on EverydayFamily now and you will receive stage by stage pregnancy and baby newsletters, offers and weekly coupon alerts as well as a wide range of free baby samples, coupons, baby magazines and more.

All New Members Can Win Free Diapers for a Entire Year!

Anonymous said...

I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight. best snorkeling destination

Anonymous said...

9158聊天室 , 韩国女主播聊天室 , 女主播聊天室 , 康福视频真人聊天室 , 视讯美女聊天 , 美女视频 , 好聊 , 视讯聊天室破解版 , 视讯主播 , 本土视讯聊天室

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...