Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Red Durian

red durian
Red durian

This is the most exotic durian I've ever come across. In fact I brought it to my regular durian stall and the durian experts too have never seen it before. I gave him half a fruit and as we drove away, he and his friends started eating it and I found it amusing to see them nodding their heads, approving it.

Ming's friend Dalhousie gave us two of these red durians that someone else gave his parents. These durians don't smell anything like the usual durians. Ming said he and his friends agree it smells like Elephant Super Glue and bubble gum. I'm not sure if I like or dislike the smell but Hub, who loves durian, ate one seed and declared it "the worst tasting durian." Ming and I ate eagerly, knowing a rare thing is a precious thing but honestly, I see why horticulturalists have to come up with durian hybrids. If all durians were like these ones, I think even the jungle animals won't eat them.

P1100275
Red with green spikes

P1100279b

The thin flesh is a bright yellow color and is very mushy and very sweet. The smell however is extremely strong and unusual. The seed is a deep brown color and the shell oxidizes very quickly. A most strange durian. I'm amazed. Anyone out there ever eaten this durian before? I think I'm getting closer to that mythical purple-flesh durian.

10 comments:

red | hongyi said...

"If all durians were like these ones, I think even the jungle animals won't eat them."


HAHAHAHAHA!!! I had to resist laughing out loud coz Wennie's asleep!


Btw, D says I tell bad jokes. I told him that I used to be pretty good at it. Eg, when I cracked Xiao Hu's dad up...

You be the witness!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

yi: yes, D, she used to tell jokes really well and with a straight face. not original jokes tho. d usual 'y did d chicken cross d road?' kind.

a feast, everyday said...

hi aunty terri,

the nite we got the durian from your mum, we crowded around the table and stared at the poor fruit so suspiciously for the longest time, and i almost felt bad for the little red thing.

once open, there were more gasps and looks of horror. My dad had to tell us to not be mean to the fruit! hahahah

definitely not my kinda thing! i'll stick to my jungle durians or maybe the A14 once i get a chance to try it. ;p

Luv,
Heather

Shan said...

Hi Terri did you get my email about diner tomorrow?

Anonymous said...

The flesh does not look appetizing at all.. I must give you two thumbs up for being adventurous.

Anonymous said...

I'm an old fart & I had never come across such durian. It's wonderful just knowing it exists. Could this be somebody's hybridization gone bonkers ??

Shan said...

Terri terri terri - where art thou? It's almost 6pm and still no news from you. Sniff.

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

Shan:i couldn't get onto d net all day, even went to Telekom to c if forgotten to pay but no...now Hub's bck n using his laptop, tapping onto 'free' wireless line--did u know u can do tt?

I'm cookingup a big italian feast but i'll come.who else gona be there? very short notice. i was ging to make u n loius my signature carrot cake...

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

dt:so funny, can imagine all of u crowded arnd it like it was a gremlin. It IS a jungle durian, more authentic than any.Mother of them all.
raina: it's nothing--i can try any exotic flora but not fauna.:)
mc: tt's what i thought too, tt i've seen them all until this one came along. but no this is d real thing, 100% from d jungle. it really challenges all of us proclaimed durian lovers.i failed.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a Malaysian, and this is the first time i ever saw such a fruit, despite the car bootfuls my dad used to bring home. The only other durian I know, that stinks is the 'XO' durian with 1 inch long tangled thorns. its named after the XO liquor. Usually good clone durians are plentiful in Malaysia.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...