Thursday, October 1, 2009

Home-made Hot Sauce

chili sauce1
Home-made hot sauce is not red like the commercial ones.

Habaneros and chili padi ('rice chili', because of their tiny size) are the hottest chilies I've ever eaten. Chili size and their level of hotness are inversely related. Big bell peppers taste sweet instead of hot. The smaller the chili, the hotter it is. Shorter people are like that too. The shorter the more fiery. According to a National Geographic program recently, small animals are more colorful to attract mates and ensure survival and propagation of species. It may be the same with shorter people, who are usually more animated, extroverted, wily and capable so it's no wonder the nickname "chili padi" refers to a small person with big fighting spirit.

chili padi
Birds' eyes chilies, also known as chili padi

kasturi limes
Kasturi limes, also known as calamansi

I have a couple of chili padi plants in my back yard. Recently, there are so many chillies even the birds can't finish them so I decided to make chili sauce, Sabah-style, something I've not bothered to do before.

I washed, dried and blended the chillies with plenty of kasturi (calamansi) limes (remove the seeds but keep the skin) and seasoned the sauce with some salt. I didn't want any extra flavor like ginger or garlic in it, so I left it plain. The sauce was more of a paste, so I added some rice vinegar to thin it a bit, but not too much since I like to add some Maggi soy sauce when I use it as a dip. I don't have much experience in pickling anything. I scalded the bottles with boiling water so I hope the chili sauce will keep for some time. That's all my understanding about pickling and preserving; just make sure the bottles are clean and dry.

All that chilies and limes made two small bottles of thick hot sauce. I also suffered from some chili burns on my hands and face but it was worth it. The kasturi limes give a refreshing citrus flavor and the sauce is so hot, it burns my stomach. I find myself hesitating before I eat it. It is almost like a dare. I imagine that's how it feels for guys to get close to Megan Fox. Hot yet scary.

chili sauce

P1330488

I'll be eating a lot of fried meehoon with my hot sauce, especially the plain white meehoon from the breakfast stall next to Diamond Restaurant.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

hey there...

so u just blend the cili padi with the kasturi isit??

gonna get more tips from you starting today if i wanna anything about cooking n food.....
:)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

how a good idea, I gonna to make this home-made hot sauce too, I just spicy stuff, Thanks for sharing.

Precious Pea said...

Aiyoooooooo....I am very very sure I will like your super hot chili sauce. Can order one bottle ar? Funny, can't find limau kasturi here.

irenebui said...

oh, i luv white meehoon esp fried with lots of dried prawns & i luv to squeeze lots of kasturi juice over the meehoon... yummy...

Mona said...

OMGGGG! I cant control my saliva after i saw the chili!

Zurin said...

LOLOLOLOL about the ...ahem...'not too tall people'. Should I be flattered?

loving the hot sauce. too bad my stomach can't take it otherwise I would buy that right off you.

Shan said...

Heyyy I recognize that bottle ;)

TRACE said...

though i dont take chilli...But the sauce is calling out "taste me! taste me!!!"
recently i tried to make vege popiah with my mom's help....
it was fun!!! =D

fishm0i said...

Yum!!~ I love to have this kind hot sauce in my noodles or rice too!

Now I know what I can do with the overgrown chili padis in my home.. My mom told me that cooking the sauce would help it preserve longer..

NEE said...

hi hi i must do this. greg loves the sabahan burn your turn chilli sauce. thanks.

please check your emails.

Gallivanter said...

It looks like to die for!!! My mouth is watering! :-D

terri@adailyobsession said...

alus: yes, tt's what i did. add more salt and vinegar to preserve it longer

sonia: welcome

pp: try the vietnamese market at footscray. they have everything, more than here!

irene-serenity: oh yes, yes!

mona: didn't know u like chili. come n get a bottle

zurin: oh oh. the clever part is a compliment, the short is whatever makes you happy...:D

shan: i cna't rmber what it held...

trace: cooking is therapeutic.

agnes: oh yes, cooking will make it last longer but i think it'll be a different taste

gallivanter: we love our chili sauce don't we

Mona said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mona said...

Aunt, thx for the chili ^o^
this thing made me ate 2bowls of rice yesterday everning!!
I'm GONNA GAIN WEIGHT SOON!!

rokh said...

i am kind of small...so i must be kind of fiery too ;)

Unknown said...

It looked, devillish!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your post, I have been trying to find this recipe. I love sabahan chili sauce

Muhammad Fahad said...

The author's homemade hot sauce, made with chili padi and Kasturi limes, showcases the fiery heat and refreshing citrus flavor. Despite the chili burns, the flavorful sauce is worth the effort and pairs well with dishes like fried mee hoon. Spicy and daring, just like a culinary adventure! You can use Drtrouble Smoked Chili Sauce to enhance your taste.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...